Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK


I am thinking about change, about people who have changed the world, who have changed my world. Martin Luther King, Jr. -- I wish I could say he has had more of an impact on who I am; his "I have a dream..." is powerful. What he hoped for as a daddy resonates with me deeply; he was a man who loved Jesus and believe in the power of the gospel to draw us together as people is something I share as well. As I think about it today, here are some folks who have shaped and impacted me:


Mom and Dad -- obvious choice, yeah? But it is true. They raised me to love others, to believe in myself, and trusted me to make good decisions. That has profoundly impacted how I do my job, how I parent, and how I live. I hope the foundation that I am providing is as influential as it was for me.


Russ and Sue -- they trusted me to love and care for their daughter, which is the biggest gift to me outside of salvation. They love me like their own, and inspire me to be the same with my kids' spouses.


Kari -- she believed in me when I didn't believe in myself; loves me like Jesus does, and pushes me to be better. Wow.


John Eldridge -- "Wild at Heart" changed mine. Another push (and kick in the junk) to become a man, to be bold, to chase and realize my dreams.


John Kline -- a friend, a mentor, a damn good pastor. I'm honored to walk with him.


Brennan Manning -- a spiritual director, drowning me in a tub of God's love and grace. A voice that reminds me not to hide and to love who I see in the mirror.


Jesus -- Duh. Savior, Redeemer, Friend. Lion, Lamb, Yahweh.


My kids -- Kristyn, BW, and Em. They are the reason I'll fight for right and good in this world, the people who I love more than any other. They are maddening and bring joy beyond compare. What a gift.


I'm grateful for these folks who have made me better, have made me me.

No comments:

Post a Comment